Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 7- Stinky Tofu














We met with 3 social workers all of them very nice. We got a good amount of detail in terms of the mother’s family background. Ty’s mother, grand parents and uncle signed off on the adoption. They are happy for him and the opportunities that he will have. For a number of reasons that I don’t want to get into, they are not able to take care of him. He has been at his facility with Ling since he was less than a month old. We found a couple of his baby pictures at Ling’s facility on the wall. They have some nice pictures that we will need to get copies of.

In between social worker visits we take Tyler to the mall. This time we need to find pants that fit. We know there is only one more day, but a pair of pants that is not falling off of him or up his crack would be nice. They have some more little rides for him at the mall. We have about 1000 pictures of him expressionless on the little rides outside department stores. As soon as we put the camera away he smiles. He is messing with us. He doesn’t like to be a show pony.

After naps we spent the afternoon playing in the room. He has a rock star guitar now and rocks out a bit. More repeated words. “Bye Bye” while blowing kisses is our new favorite.

It’s time for him to go to bed so we bring him back to Ling’s place. We have another night on the town planned by Grace and Edmund. Tonight we are going to Seafood Island. There is a small island in the harbor that is known for great seafood restaurants. To get there we have two options. First is a big ferry boat which looks very nice and new. The second and the one we want is a small flat fishing boat that looks about two hundred years old. This is an authentic experience. We are told that the safety railing on this boat is relatively new. Just a few years ago Edmund explains it was up to you to have good balance.

We toured a Buddhist Temple which was very interesting and serene. The restaurant has lots of fish tanks with perspective dinner items out front. I think I am going to like this. There is a lobster looking creature that has a flat pushed in head. I think we need to eat that. The food was great. The lobster like animal was fantastic. We also had some grilled fish that was out of this world. The mouth of this fish looked like a piranha but the body is like a yellow tail snapper. I can describe the fish well because it was served fully intact. The seasoning and sealed in juices make this so good I may try something similar on our grill back home.

Last night I decided I need to try both the 1000 year old egg and stinky tofu. Back to the night market we go. I am not going to be scared off this time. The 1000 year old egg when cut looks exactly like you would think. Picture a fossil you have seen at a museum. I go for it. The outer eggs tastes just like a hard boiled egg. What’s the big deal? I take a bigger bite that includes the yoke center. That may have been a mistake. The yoke tastes like a fermented raw clam. Sara is not interested at all. I am also unable to even convince Grace to try it. She lives here. Maybe this really was a mistake. My stomach is fine. Why push it though, I leave some on my plate.

Grace tells me that stinky tofu is much better than 1000 year old egg. I have to assume she is correct. Let’s find out. So we approach the stand. Edmund explains that they position the stinky tofu stand at the end of the market because even Taiwan people feel it stinks. It looks like fried dough triangles served with cabbage. Grace orders two plates one for her and Edmund and one for Sara and I. She seems sure we are going to like it.

I grab my chop sticks and inspect one. I smell it but the fried coating is hiding what is inside. I try my first bite. What the? I thought Andrew Zimmerman said the street market stinky tofu tasted like fine cheese. All I hear is Sara saying “why are your nostrils flaring like that, I’ve never seen you do that when eating”. My first bite was a small one composed mostly the fried portion and I don’t want to waste all this food unless I am sure I don’t like it. I also better suggest Sara taste it before I say anything that I am thinking. I don’t want her to miss out. So we do it together. Sara takes a bite and I take a bigger bite. Literally an explosion of flavor and now I know for sure. I just ate shit.

My stomach is doing flips. I start to look around to see where I could discreetly puke if it comes to that. Who eats stinky tofu for the first time without a drink handy? What is wrong with me? Grace and Edmund have already finished their plate. I suggest that they finish our plate as well to which Sara quickly agrees. We all start laughing because it is obvious that I am turning green. There is no more time for politeness. I confess that I am shocked that they can choke that stuff down and that I need to excuse myself to buy a sugary drink immediately.

Tomorrow is our final day with Tyler on this trip. Sara is starting to get emotional and we are still 24 hours out.

No comments:

Post a Comment