Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Day 1-- Meet Tyler







It’s Sunday night and we’re here in Taiwan giving you the long awaited update. We got in last night and couldn’t sleep primarily because of nerves and excitement but also jet lag. The flight was long but very uneventful. This morning we finally met Jhih-Yuan who we have decided to name Tyler (Ty for short). We had 23 hours of traveling to debate names and this one seemed to fit when we met him.

When we first met him he was a little apprehensive but seemed to like the toys we brought so we knew we had an “in”. After a little playing we stopped for lunch and I was finally able to get a smile out of him. He’s got the most contagious laugh (we'll post a video when we can). Playing catch and peek-a-boo seem to be the funniest things he’s ever seen. During lunch we also discovered that he’ll eat just about anything you put in front of him—from cod livers to shrimp to tofu.

After lunch we stopped at the Shoushan zoo. The entire day we had Grace with us who is our translator. She has been so wonderful in helping us navigate around the city and Taiwanese customs.

Today was a great day but we have a long week ahead of us. We will take him to at least one doctor later in the week and we’ll meet a social worker who will basically decide whether or not we are going to be fit parents. Her recommendation will be very important during the court process.

We’ll keep you updated as the week progresses but now we’re exhausted so good night! One funny note—it was about 80 degrees and humid today and they brought him in a wool sweater and corduroys. When I took the sweater off, he had a sweatshirt on underneath!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sending me the link to your blog! I am so excited for you! He is the cutest thing!!! Seeing Grace with you just give me goosebumps and brings make all the memories of our recent trip there. The Social Workers are so nice. DON'T WORRY! Wasn't the zoo so cute! Yes, they bundle the babies up there! Keep posting..so excited for you ...tell Ms. K and Grace I send my love! Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin and Sara,
    Tyler is adorable and seems like such a happy little guy! I was laughing when you said he seems to eat just about anything you put in front of him. Did you find out about those cookies yet? I hope you all have a wonderful week getting to know each other. I can't believe it is so warm there, and I am totally confused about what day it is. I am thinking of you guys!
    Love, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful smile! So glad to hear it's going so well!

    - Mark Fenster

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrilled to hear that all is well. Pictures are great. Tyler sounds like a wonderful name. Love Dick and Yvette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all so amazing and exciting. Wish I was there or with a faster computer to help out mom and dad. Payton and Jenna say Hi too and can't wait to meet Ty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cutie! Great idea posting everything on a blog so we can follow along. Please post lots and often! More pictures too! Love the name Ty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara, keep sending the blog. What a cutie. Good luck and get used to being sleep deprived, it's just the beginning!!

    ReplyDelete