Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 5 – Newton’s law, what goes in must come out

Sara is not napping. I don’t want you to think she has a problem.

Our translator Grace and her husband Edmund took us out last night. It was an all you can eat hot pot restaurant that was truly great. We took piles of freshly shaved beef, pork, chicken, lamb and oh to the seafood. Plates of fresh oysters, crab, whole squids, and fish skins. Yes fish skins. FYI, if you leave fish skins it in the hot pot is turns to salty jelly. I had to try it. I find no reason to ever eat fish skins again though. The shrimp were actually still alive. You get to pick the ones you want out of the tank like lobsters! Sara had issues with their sad eyes looking at her but she got over it on her way to polishing off a bucket of them.

Edmund enjoyed potty humor so we bonded quickly. They then took us to the night market. For those that enjoy watching the Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmerman show this is taken directly from one of his episodes. Stinky tofu, they let tofu rot to perfection then aptly name it. Buckets of Alcoholic snails! How about some chicken testicles? We saw people eating the “1000” year old eggs, yes I know what you are going to say, sounds like something Aunt Pauline had in her fridge at the lake. We may take a taxi back later in the week for some stinky tofu but no promises. While we ponder going back we found the link to Andrew Zimmerman’s Taiwan episode. See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILexn0r6STg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SMPkyamuR8&feature=related


We just got the call that Tyler took a deuce the size of epic proportions then chased it with a quick second. Seems like a good time to pick him up. We were able to see where Ty has been living for his first two years. It was actually pretty nice. The government funds his facility. Not too many extras but a 1 to 3 nanny to child ratio and pretty safe. Children in his particular situation are able to stay at a facility like this for the first few years and then are sent to an orphanage if they are not adopted. There are a few kids there who won’t be adopted because they have serious medical conditions. It’s really depressing so I won’t go into details or explain why I am being so abstract.

This is supposed to be a fun blog so I need to change my thoughts. As you can tell this is a stream of consciousness. Maybe if I look around the room I will think of something to say….hmmmm….oh my god….Sara is sleeping! Maybe she does have a problem. Tyler is next to her. Both so peaceful…one of them is definitely snoring…I think it is Ty…it doesn’t sound like Sara’s standard deviated septum snore.

Yesterday at the lawyers office we got to briefly see Tyler’s uncle. He seemed like a nice guy about 20 years old. Outside of a quick introduction to the uncle our translator was busy working with the lawyer on the paper work. This left Sara and I to our own devices. She taps me and says…hey take a picture of him. Of course she had no intention of standing up and taking a picture of this guy herself. We went on to break down this guys facial and bodily characteristics until we were both convinced that he was definitely related. He was a pretty decent looking guy. I’m not just saying this as a potential proud father, but Tyler is probably going to do well with the ladies.

You may have noticed from the pictures that after day one Tyler’s hair got cut. One of the nannies asked us if it would be ok with us if he got his hair done. We happily agreed. I was as the point where I was considering using my beard and mustache trimmer on him. We have 3 cameras going on this kid perpetually…something needed to be done.

Based on Tyler’s earlier bowel issues we are going to play it safe for the rest of the week. We will keep it simple with soupy rice, fruits and eggs. His next hamburger will need to wait until he is back in the States. Maybe we can get Aunt Simone to make a famous milk man Hamburger.

Edmund and Grace run a lumber distribution business. They entertain their Canadian suppliers in Taiwan regularly so he knows where to buy things. He mentioned that many of these business men buy Rolexes every time they visit. I was very intrigued. I can’t go into detail but a little old lady, an alley, and short money was involved. Check out our night market picture where Edmund is flashing his new bling bling.

I am starting to think that toys that make sounds were not a great idea. He and I both know that A is for Apple at this point. His favorite toy only has only 3 buttons A, B, and C. You see where this is going.

It’s time to wake up sleeping beauties.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are having fun out there. Might want to change the name of your blog to the Taiwan BM Chronicles. The updates are appreciated and definitely funny. Tyler seems very cute and fun, although I am disappointed that Justin didn't have to change his epically poopy diaper.

    ReplyDelete